Wednesday, March 31, 2010

For the display of His splendor...

I love the book of Isaiah. It's pretty heavy in spots, but so beautifully descriptive and poetic. During my quiet time this morning I was super distracted with thoughts of parenting, finances, future plans, what to make for dinner, and shoes for Easter. After settling my mind I began to pray for our upcoming trip to Haiti and read Isaiah 61. This passage has officially been adopted as my prayer for our upcoming trip and for the nation of Haiti.
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn and provide for those who grieve in Zion, to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, and oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of HIS splendor." Isaiah 61:1-3
Wow. What a beautiful word picture for our trip. If I had any artistic ability I would paint a picture of the country of Haiti with tall, strong oak trees covering the land with a sign under them saying, "Planted by the Lord for the display of His splendor."

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful meditations, Amber! Can't wait to hear how God uses you both in Haiti!

    ReplyDelete